Black Mold: The Silent Killer

Black Mold Must Go Away

If you think black mold sounds menacing, you’re right. It can release mycotoxin spores that are potentially lethal. Even when they don’t kill people, they can result in things like skin irritation of the immune system up to pulmonary decay and neurological breakdown. Whether you’re striving to remediate existing black mold or just prevent it from growing in your Florida home or business, there are certain things that you should know in order to stay safe.

Black mold is actually a neurotoxin. It releases spores that can attach to the neurons of someone’s brain, where they start incapacitating their mental abilities. Reactions to block mold can include mood swings, tremors, and various other neurological shifts.

Black mold can weaken a person’s immune system, so on top of getting sick thanks to the mold, germs and viruses have an easier time making you even more sick. Long-enough exposure can mean spores of black mold start shutting your organs down before hurting your brain and then killing you.

Pregnant women in Florida are at high risk. They can suffer infertility after the fact, miscarriages, and birth defects.

Pets can also suffer from black mold. They, along with seniors, the sick, and the young, are all in high-risk groups.

Even when someone survives the damage to their health that black mold puts them through, the damage can last a lifetime. Even after remediation, mold sensitivity and the impact on weakening someone’s immune system could be irreversible.

You need to do all you can to keep black mold out of your home. Get rid of tainted materials. Use ceiling fans and dehumidifiers in damp locations and bathrooms. Clean with mold-reducing sprays, and be very careful about what anyone brings into the home. Old wood and other porous objects might have mold spores growing on them.

Keeping water away from your home or business is essential to do. Water is crucial for mold growth. Unfortunately, water is very prevalent in most of Florida, as there are hundreds of miles of coastline, thousands of lakes, and endless streams, rivers, and creeks. That’s not to even mention the rain and storms. Never let your building get flooded, and you’ll win half your battle against mold. If you can grade your property to get water flowing away from the structure, do so. Also, look into getting downspouts which divert water away.

Mold can be dangerous in any state, but in a humid and lush state like Florida, it can grow quickly. If you find it in the walls of a home or business you own or discover it in a new home or building you buy, be concerned, but don’t panic. Call professionals for remediation. This is not a DIY project, as that’s actually illegal in many places. Remediation can run from $500 up to $10,000. Check your relevant insurance to see if it’s covered. If it’s not currently and you don’t have black mold yet, you might want to have a rider added to get this covered.

Federal Pacific Breaker Panels: HUGE Fire Hazard

Federal Pacific Electric Panel Replacement To Prevent Fire Hazard

From the 1950s to the 1980s, Federal Pacific Electric was one of the main companies on the forefront of manufacturing circuit breaker panels in North America and millions of FPE panels were installed in homes across the United States. However, over the years these panels have failed to provide proper protection for homeowners and their families. Experts have found that, although the panels appear to work well for years, after just one short circuit or overcurrent they can overheat and become a potential fire hazard. For this reason, insurance companies in Florida and across the country are advising their clients to have these panels replaced or risk losing their insurance coverage.

A circuit breaker panel is a crucial part of a home’s electrical system. It constantly receives and distributes electricity and protects the home from power surges and other risks. When a circuit breaker fails to trip, it causes an enormous amount of power from the outside electrical supply to surge into the panel and circuits of a home that cannot be shut down manually. When this happens the electricity will carry on until it runs out or the wires melt. When a panel overheats it can catch fire, causing serious damage to property and the occupants of a home. Although many FPE panels and breakers operate for years without problems, when they do malfunction it could have devastating results.

Federal Pacific Electric panels are causing countless house fires in Florida and all over the country. In a recent class action lawsuit in New Jersey, the State Court ruled that Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) had violated the Consumer Fraud Act by knowlingly and purposefully distributing circuit breakers that did not meet UL standards. An expert stated that, under UL 489 test conditions, failure to trip was much higher with FPE panels than standard ones.

Keeping outdated FPE panels in a home to save money can be extremely dangerous. An electrical contractor located in a local community can advise homeowners on the specific risks involved with FPE panels and how to reduce these risks by having them replaced. A licensed electrical contractor familiar with the potential hazards and dangers of FPE panels will inspect the circuit breaker panel and provide an In-Home Safety Analysis to ensure that it is capable of adequately protecting the safety of occupants.

Homeowners should also check with their insurance providers whether they will be covered in the event of a fire caused by an outdated circuit breaker panel that malfunctions.

The Dangers of FPE Panels

Despite the risks and possible dangers, many homes in the Florida area that are 15 years or older still have FPE panels installed that could prove to be a fire hazard. According to a report, nearly 60% of FPE panels tested failed to operate properly in the event of a power surge. If too many electrical devices are plugged in at the same time it could require more electricity than a circuit can provide, causing the wiring to overheat. Normally the circuit breaker will trip to cut off the electricity supply but it has been found that FPE circuit breakers often do not operate properly, resulting in overheating and the possible outbreak of a fire.

Avoiding a Major Water Loss – Preventative Maintenance

Why You Should Repipe To Avoid Water Loss –

Have you been having issues with water loss for a while now? If you’re dealing with these problems, there is a good chance that your pipes are to blame. Thankfully, repiping can prevent water loss, and it can provide plenty of other benefits as well. It’s an option that you should strongly consider.

Continue reading “Avoiding a Major Water Loss – Preventative Maintenance”

Allergy Season: Remember To Clean Your Ducts

Why It’s Important To Clean Ducts To Reduce Allergies

Just because you’re staying indoors during allergy season doesn’t mean that you’re not going to be exposed to allergies. In fact, if you’re not properly cleaning your ducts you may find that allergies are even worse indoors than outdoors. According to a study conducted by the American Asthma and Allergy Asthma and Immunology, at least half of all homes have at least six allergens in them at all times.

Your heating and cooling system is an enclosed system that can harbor dirt, bacteria, and allergens. It’s vital to clean it several times per year to help reduce dirt, bacteria, and allergens. Many people have never cleaned the ducts and these can quickly become dirty and grungy if they’re not properly cared for. This dirt and grunge can create even more allergens in the air causing asthma and allergies to flare.

Heating and cooling systems suck the air into them from in and around your home. They then heat it up or cool it down depending on the particular settings that you have them on. You’ll want to take them out of your system and clean them periodically to help reduce the allergens in and around your home.

Continue reading “Allergy Season: Remember To Clean Your Ducts”